We're Getting Married!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Poetry Contest!

Recently, I submitted a poem of mine to the 2009 Half Price Books High School Poetry contest, and last night my parents told me they'd gotten a call from them and took me to the store. I had no idea what to expect, but the manager came out with a certificate and an 8GIG iPod Nano. I'd won first place! The 1-3rd place winners are invited to a reading of the poems in January.
I have won 1st and 2nd place awards for short stories, but never for poetry. This is very exciting!
The iPod is pretty nice, too. It has 8GIGs, I can film videos with it, watch movies, TV shows, view pictures, play games, listen to music, listen to the radio, use it as a pedometer, stop watch, alarm clock... I'm stoked!



Here's the poem:

Beneath the dull grey sky
Above the dusty road

I flutter
I dart
I float
I glide.

Behind the olden tree
Before the broken boat

I move
I soar
I fly
I flee.

Amidst the bustling world
Without a welcome heart

I dance
I leap
I sing
I twirl.

Beyond a hopeless mind
Beside a desolate soul

I beckon
I lead
I show
I find.

Whenever dreams dare stand still
When wishes fade with time

I add
I shift
I turn
I change.

Despite a ruthless lie
Inside the darkest hour

I glisten
I sparkle
I glitter
I shine.

I am Beauty.


(copyright by me)

No comments: