We're Getting Married!

Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm Going to China!

I promise I will get to posting pictures of the wedding and my vacation to the West, but since I'm short on time I thought I would take it to update the family on my latest news: I've been accepted as a teacher for International Language Programs, and I will be spending this autumn in China as a teacher of the English language to children.

There is still paperwork for me to fill out and I need to send in my passport so that I can get my Chinese Visa (sweet!) but I have been officially accepted and I will fly out mid-August and return mid-December. There are 6 cities in China, with nine schools in total, and when I do my paperwork I will submit my preferences. So, at the moment, I do not know exactly where I will be going but I'll let you know when I am assigned to a school.

A quick review of what I will be doing as an ILP teacher: I will be assigned to a school with other college-age, LDS-standards, English-speaking teachers. Five days a week we will teach children between the ages of 4-14 English through immersion classes; this way, I will not need to speak Mandarin in order to teach. (Whew!)
Every evening and weekend the teachers are free to wander and travel and shop as they like. We get a week long vacation, usually to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, the Terracotta Warriors, etc. The fee I pay covers flights there and back; Kung Fu classes, Mandarin classes, and cuisine classes; room and food for the entire semester. I will be living with at least one female teacher in a dorm outside the school. I will have access to the internet and Skype, so I'll do my best to keep in contact and post news and photos on the blog.

I'll keep you updated as things progress.

Until then, 再见! (Goodbye!)

No comments: