We're Getting Married!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Getting Ready to Leave for China

(Note: I will not be able to personally blog while in China, since blogging is banned over there. I will be sending emails with pictures to my sisters, who will then upload them to this blog.)

My dearest friends,

First of all, xiexie, thank you, so much for supporting me on this endeavor. I cannot express my gratitude enough for your encouragement and friendship.
I am currently in Utah, having finally packed and weighed all my suitcases. I had to leave some things that I brought with me from Colorado, because I'm already pushing my limits: I have about a pound of leeway. Here's to hoping Delta's scales are as accurate as the ones here.
I depart with several members of my Weihai group this evening at 8:15 from the Salt Lake International Airport. We will fly to LAX for a short layover, and then fly to Seoul, South Korea. We should arrive in Seoul about 4AM Seoul time (I'm still figuring out the time change--China is 14 hours behind--or ahead?--of MST) and so the airline is giving us a hotel. We depart from Seoul straight to the Weihai, Shandong, China airport at 2PM and should arrive in Weihai about 4PM.
I awoke this morning and thought, "I leave for China TODAY" and had a slight panic attack, but I'll be just fine. I've had the privilege of meeting a few of my fellow teachers and we all get along swimmingly, like we've known each other for years. That helps to calm my nerves.
I am very excited for this opportunity and can't wait to see what the next four months have in store for me! I will email again as soon as possible and keep you updated on my adventures whenever I have the time. I'm not exactly sure what my schedule will be like while I'm in China.

In any case, have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
Jillian Newell

No comments: