We're Getting Married!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Personal Constitution

*I wrote this for the Institute class I’m taking. It’s like a road map for my standards; I may not be everything I’ve written, but it’s like a guide for what I’d like to become and the standards by which I strive to live.

I AM TOTALLY HONEST

I tell the truth even when it’s inconvenient. I do not lie to get out of sticky situations or to make myself look better/innocent. In spite of how insignificant the truth/lie may seem, I will tell the truth. When asked a question, I give my honest opinion.

I AM A PERSON OF INTEGRITY

I do what I know is right, even when no one is looking or may never know otherwise. I proudly stand for truth and right without wavering. I am not a hypocrite; I “practice what I preach” by living what I believe. I hold myself to the standard to which I hold others. I take my own advice.

I AM A DISCIPLE OF CHRIST

I follow the commandments without question or variation. I love and treat everyone with fairness, kindness, and respect, even when I do not particularly like certain people. I stand up for God and my beliefs and am proud to be a Christian. People can discern that I follow Christ through my example.

I AM LIKE GOD

I love unconditionally and am no “respecter of persons.” I possess similar traits as God, such as compassion, patience, faith, love, great spiritual strength, and optimism. I am a “God in Training” and a heavenly Princess; I act as such.

I AM DEPENDABLE

I complete tasks and assignments in a timely manner. People know that if they put their trust in me I will not fail them. I fulfill and magnify my Church callings and fulfill my duties at work, school, and other areas of my life. My friends know they can always come to me for anything.

I AM A GOAL SETTER AND ACHIEVER

I make goals and find ways to reach them. I make realistic small goals in order to eventually reach larger and grander goals.

I AM PHYSICALLY FIT

I exercise daily and make a righteous effort to eat healthily. I limit my intake of sweets and fatty foods and implement organic and natural choices into my diet as much as possible. I only drink soda for medicinal purposes. I stretch my exercise limits as a way to continually challenge my body and to keep my mind healthy as well.

I AM A MENSCH

As Leo Rosten would describe a mensch, I have “character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right” and am “responsible, decorous.” I treat everyone with respect in spite of how they treat me. I am not prejudiced, racist, or judging.

I AM A RELIABLE CONFIDANT

Those acquainted with me know that they can come to me with any concern and that I will listen to them and give them honest advice. I always give my honest opinion and advice that I feel will best benefit them. I never risk sabotaging their trust by sharing with others or taking advantage of what they tell me in confidence.

I AM A HOMEMAKER

I am always striving to improve my homemaking skills and learning new ones: I research and experiment with recipes; I am organized; I know how to sew and repair clothing; I am developing habits in regards to reading scriptures, Family Home Evening, attending Church, and spending time with family so that my house is a home. By doing these things, I am preparing every day for when I have a family of my own.

I AM A DEDICATED VISITING TEACHER

I am a friend to my assigned sisters all the time, not simply during visits. I schedule appointments promptly and, if possible, visit with my sisters every month. I am reliable in the way that they know I visit them out of love, not obligation. When they need my help, I willingly offer my service and do my best to assure their needs are met. I look for ways to be of service to them even when they have not reached out to me.

I AM HARD WORKING

I do not grumble when it comes to working. I always put forth my best effort, and I recognize the benefits of doing so—such as trust from others, trust in myself, a greater sense of purpose, feelings of accomplishment, and beautiful results.

I AM A DEFENDER OF TRUTH

I will search out and cherish truth. I accept and acknowledge when I am wrong. I stand up for truth and do not tolerate injustice.

I AM AMBITIOUS

I consider my options and pursue that which I feel is most important to me. I always have a goal for which I am striving; I make small goals that will eventually lead me to a larger, grander goal. I dream big and find ways to accomplish and to reach my aspirations. I refuse to be stagnant in any aspect of my life: I continually strive to improve myself and my situation.

I AM CONFIDENT IN MYSELF

I trust myself and love myself. I love myself despite my faults; I love myself enough to improve me. I am bluntly, unashamedly honest with myself. I know and recognize who I am—a beloved daughter of God—and that I have limitless potential. I know, with God’s help, that I can accomplish anything to which I put my heart and my mind. I am worthwhile and I believe in myself.

I AM TRUSTING

I believe in the goodness of humanity. I recognize that everyone is a child of God with limitless potential to be good. I give everyone a chance; I trust someone until they give me a reason not to.

I AM VIRTUOUS

I do not listen to music, read literature, watch movies, or participate in activities that encourage and/or glorify immorality or vulgarity. I recognize the sacredness of sexual interactions and that such is a gift from God and should not be taken lightly or misused. I keep myself sexually pure by setting boundaries based on the standards set in the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet and by sticking to those standards. I do not push the limits. I show respect and love for others by encouraging similar standards and by simply sticking to my guns and not participating in such activities with others.

I AM EDUCATED

I search for and pursue all praiseworthy/worthwhile opportunities to learn new things and to grow mentally, spiritually, physically, and intellectually. I recognize that I am extremely fortunate to have the freedoms that allow me to grow intellectually and I use such freedoms to my advantage. In order to grow closer to God by learning more about Him and His doctrine, I regularly study my scriptures and my patriarchal blessing, attend Church functions, read/watch General Conference addresses and other speeches from Church leaders, and read literature from spiritual leaders. In order to grow intellectually, I follow current events in the world, participate in community activities, attend relevant classes, and pursue secular education.

I AM FAITHFUL

I put my whole trust in God; I have faith in His purpose and His timing. I have faith that He will never lead me astray, that He has my very best interest in mind and that unfortunate circumstances are blessings in disguise. I have faith that I will benefit from and become a better, stronger person because of trials. I know that coincidences are God-scheduled opportunities. I believe that there is no such thing as luck, only blessings. I have faith that if I endure in righteousness to the end that I will indeed inherit eternal life and happiness.

I AM CHARITABLE

I love people as Christ would love them. I have charity toward all men, regardless of who they are or what they do. I am a “true” friend to all. I give of my time and means ungrudgingly to anyone who stands in need of help.

I AM HUMBLE

I treat everyone as equal, regardless of ethnicity, religious views, gender, sexual orientation, etc. I recognize that God loves each of us equally. I am no “respecter of persons.” I am not haughty or conceited. I am grateful for my talents and utilize them, but I do not boast. I recognize that all that I have and am is because of the grace of God and that all my successes are attributed to Him.

I AM SELFLESS

I am a friend to and am kind to everyone, regardless of our differences. I look for opportunities to serve and go out of my way to help others. I share with others and think of others before myself; I treat others as I would have them treat me.

I AM ACCOUNTABLE

I take responsibility for my actions and confess my faults without delay. I right my wrong doings by taking the necessary actions. Likewise, I promptly complete tasks assigned to me and take full responsibility for my shortcomings and mistakes.

I AM A SCRIPTURE/CHURCH DOCTRINE SCHOLAR

I study the scriptures every day by utilizing all my resources: the Standard Works, Conference addresses, the Ensign and other Church literature, foot notes, Church websites, Institute, Church classes, and prayer and fasting. I am knowledgeable of Church doctrine and principles and am a reliable source for such discussions.

I AM PRODUCTIVE

I wake up early, and pursue worthwhile goals and participate in praiseworthy activities throughout the day. I balance my time between work and leisure. I do not spend unnecessary time on social media websites or watching TV/movies. I compose a daily To Do lists and actively pursue the items on the list until they are accomplished.

I AM A MISSIONARY

I search for opportunities to share the Gospel; I create such opportunities by being an “example of the believers” and by not being ashamed of my beliefs—I find ways to mention God in every day discussions. I pray that I may be an instrument in God’s hands and I allow Him to influence my actions. I do not shy away from missionary opportunities. I carry “I’m a Mormon” cards in my wallet and give them out when given the chance. I will prepare to be a full-time missionary by being a member missionary now.

I AM AN OPTIMISTIC REALIST

I always look for the silver lining to every situation. I am not a complainer; however, I recognize the difficulty of whatever situation I am in and strive to improve it instead of griping about it.

I AM FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT

I pursue the opportunities that will improve my current situation. I work hard and I am not afraid to go after what I want. I am not in financial debt and do all I can to stay that way. I make smart purchases and live within my means; I do not spend money I do not have. I am a reliable, honest, hard worker so that I can retain my employment and earn greater opportunities.

I AM GRATEFUL

I remember why, how, and from whom I have all my possessions and blessings. I thank Heavenly Father on a daily basis for all that I have and am. I am grateful for hardships and the lessons they teach me; I am grateful for the positive things in my life and I constantly thank God for both. I promptly, sincerely, and often thank the people in my life who help me in any way.

No comments: