We're Getting Married!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November 6-District Conference

Today, for Church, we had Asia District Conference, over phone-Skype. Sister Dibb and Elder Scott were among the speakers, which were all general authorities but I forgot their names. It was an incredible conference and very spiritual; it was exactly what I needed, especially since I was unable to listen to General Conference. (I plan on reading the Ensign when I return to the States.)

I’m not exactly sure what District entitles, but here are some numbers: China has 19 Stakes and 19 Districts; there are 45 Districts in Asia. China is home to about half of the world’s population.

I wrote down some feelings and quotes from the conference, which I will share here:



· Everyone needs a missionary; everyone needs help from others.

· Who do you know that needs your help now?

· When you pray, listen for an answer. Don’t rush through spiritual matters.

· We each need our own Sacred Grove and to exercise our faith to ask our questions, like Joseph Smith, Jr.

· Your “I Will” is more important than your IQ.

· The most important prophet of any age is the living prophet. The words of the living prophet are just as, or more important than those in the scriptures.

· Do I study the words of latter-day prophets like I study the standard works? All are scripture.

· You will not make a mistake without first being warned by a prompting of the Holy Ghost.

· The Lord doesn’t care at all if we work in marble halls or stable stalls. – President Uchtdorf

· The rising generation should work on genealogy—we need to learn how so that we can continue it.

· Some people make huge financial and physical sacrifices to receive temple blessings, like saving up for years to travel to a different country. A girl’s and boy’s temple sacrifice is preparing to serve a mission.

· Sacrifice the pomp and pageantry of a civil wedding for a temple marriage.

· A temple marriage should be the focus of your marriage, not an afterthought.

Richard G. Scott spoke on the sanctity of womanhood:

· Broaden your mind and cultivate the horizon of your understanding.

· Men, don’t make women cry: God counts a woman’s tears.

· Women are NOT second-class citizens in the Kingdom of God.

· Men must help misguided women. Women have great influence over men, but men have the same power over women. Women have the need to be accepted so they are easily influenced by what men want them to be.

· Many women have returned to righteousness because of the positive influence and example and encouragement of a worthy Priesthood holder.

· Men—tell girls how attractive they are when they are living Gospel standards.

· Teach your sons to respect their sisters; vice versa. (I find marriage-related advice applicable to me as I decide on what type of mother and spouse I want to be, so that’s why I wrote these down.)

· Don’t hesitate to confront your spouse about a concern you have regarding their behavior—resentment will grow if you keep silent.

· “Dad, I love you. You are my best friend.” – Elder Scott’s son after Elder Scott played with his children. Spend time with your children.

· Don’t ever keep a secret agenda from your spouse; sharing everything about yourselves with each other is a powerful strengthening tool.

· Let any daughter of God who doubts her worth turn to her Father in Heaven and He will give her supernal confirmation of her divine worth. He will always give her confirmation.

· Be grateful for those who bring others into the Gospel; we are all blessed when someone is converted.



I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to listen to this council from Church leaders, especially in such a unique setting.

No comments: