We're Getting Married!

Monday, December 26, 2011

December 16-Last Day of Teaching





December 16, 2011

Today was my last day of teaching—it has definitely been a day full of emotional turmoil. We have the kids coloring utensils and told them to have at it; there was a movie in the background, just in case they got bored. Emily, Kate and I took pictures with our kids. We had cookies, peanuts, chocolate wafer cookies, and coffee—all of which were Kelly’s idea. Most of the kids disliked the coffee; I questioned Kelly’s reasoning in buying coffee for six year olds. The last thing they need is more energy!

When we told them it was our last day of teaching (“Tomorrow, ming tian, no more ILP: no more Teacher Emily, no more Teacher Kate, no more Teacher Jillian”), there was a chorus of groans and moans from the kids. However, throughout the day, I only saw Kyle cry. His dark eyes filled with tears and he looked completely heartbroken; my heart broke just looking at him. Even though his were the only tears I saw from my students, the others were still obviously saddened/heartbroken.

For example, after we said that, Lily bolted to my side and jumped into my arms, squeezing me tight. “I love you,” she said softly yet firmly.

“I love you, too,” I said, returning her embrace.

A few of the kids told me the girl in their drawings was me, which was flattering. Several of the kids gave me their drawings. It was fun to just hang out with them and talk to them.

After our first rotation, I walked my kids down to their next class. Eva latched herself to me and said, “Teacher, you no Meiguo.”

I patted her head and said, “Sorry, Eva, I have to go back to Meiguo.”

She pouted for a moment and then said, “You, me go to Meiguo.”

“You want to go to Meiguo with me?”

“Yes!”

Naomi and Carly grabbed my hands and began chanting with Eva all the way to their classroom: “You, me, Meiguo! You, me, Meiguo!”

We passed Kelly and I told her, “I’m taking them with me to America.”

“Alright,” she replied, smiling, “you can do that.”

If only.

I played with Naomi, Carly, and Eva in their classroom as we waited for their Chinese teacher. They showed me their backpacks, the Christmas toys we’d given them, and their homework. Naomi and I recently started an on-going game where we “eat” different parts of each other’s bodies, like noses, eyes, ears, mouth, etc. and then we cover up the missing part like we no longer have it. Since it’s cold, I’ve been wearing scarves lately, and Naomi’s favorite thing to do is “eat” my head and then cover my head with my scarf, as if I’m suddenly headless. I then pretend to be a headless tickle monster and tickle her until she’s giggling. We played this game several times today.

I needed to get back upstairs for my next rotation of kids, so I stood up and said, “I need to go. Goodbye!”

Immediately, the three girls swarmed me again and held me down. “No, no, Teacher!”

I gave them all hugs, but I was going to be late, so I shuffled toward the door as they clung to my legs. Out in the hallway, my second rotation students were on their way to ILP when they saw me and joined Eva, Naomi, and Carly in clobbering me with hugs and kisses. I nearly toppled to the ground a few times. Lily covered my face in kisses again, much to the amusement of everyone around.

It took a while to peel off all the kids attached to me, but I eventually gave my three Meiguo buddies a final hug and began to ascend the stairs to start my second teaching rotation. However, when I reached the stairs, my second rotation students once again latched onto me and I dragged them up the stairs with me: there were kids hugging my arms, my waist from the front and back, and kids holding my hands. The Chinese teachers we passed were bemused and amused.

It snowed last night and all throughout today, so during the last part of my second rotation, Kate, Cami, and I took the kids outside to play in the snow. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find my camera at this time so I could only take a short video of them on my iPod, which is better than nothing, but I wanted cute pictures of us in the snow. We had a snow ball fight on the soccer/football field: Jack, Mark, and Andy attacked me from all sides; I tackled Jack and threatened to stick his head in the snow upside down, much to his boyish glee. A few of the girls stayed by me so I could protect them and warm up their hands, but most everyone joined in the snowball fight. I loved watching Lily and little Sarah running around with snowballs, their adorable giggles ringing in the air. Kim and Paris made mini mounds of snow; when I approached them, they looked up at me and grinned—have I ever told you how precious are their smiles? They are so heartwarming they could melt snow.

What an incredible experience this was to play in the freshly fallen snow with my students—it’s easily one of my best memories with them. All semester I have wanted the chance just to play with my students, outside of the classroom where there are no strictly-enforced rules, where I can be more of a babysitter than a teacher (when it comes to either, I’m a much better babysitter), where they can have fun and be kids. I’m grateful that this wish came true. My first snowball fight this winter was with seven-year-olds in China! Wo ai shengming.

Before they set off for lunch, my students all embraced me and wished me “Merry Christmas, Teacher!” It was a very precious moment. I hugged all of them before they left: Lily, Flynn, Jack, Mark, Stephen, and Kim kissed me goodbye. Although it was a bittersweet moment and it killed me to say goodbye, I didn’t cry. I believe I simply felt far too blessed to cry for sadness.

I plan on eating lunch with them on Monday before I head off to the airport, so hopefully I can see them again. Perhaps I will cry then.

In spite of it being my last teaching day, it was still a perfect day—the perfect ending to an amazing semester.



For dinner, everyone went to Hot Pots—the first restaurant to which Kelly ever took us, right after we arrived in China. It was very tasty and always a great cultural experience; it was also exciting to have one last group night out before heading home. I love the times when we get together and do something exciting. When I am a head teacher, I want to plan lots of group activities, because we did so few here.

No comments: