We're Getting Married!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

December 9-First Real Snow



Today, I taught Robin’s class so that she and Kelli could have a weekend trip to Beijing; she covered my class the day I returned from Jinan because I was late, so we are even now. The teaching schedule was a little mixed up today, though: the afternoon classes were in the morning and my morning class is now in the afternoon; not to mention today is Parents’ Day, where my students’ parents come to our classes and watch us teach their children, and Robin’s second rotation students didn’t show up until a half hour to the ending time. China is unpredictable that way; you just have to go with the flow and accept things as they come.

I dreaded teaching Robin’s kids, because the last time I taught them they were hellions and it was the longest teaching day ever, but I actually had a lot of fun with her first rotation students. They’re a year above my students so they’re older and know a little bit more English, but they’re still cute. We made snowflakes and they loved it.

Robin’s second rotation students are in their third year with ILP—they act as if they know all the ropes and no longer need to listen to the teachers. I don’t and didn’t enjoy teaching them—if I ever go into elementary teaching, I will definitely work with the younger students.

Parents’ Day with my usual students went well; the children behaved and spoke a lot of English. Most introduced me to their parents and were super excited to have them there. Neither of Ariel’s parents showed, much to her disappointment. She moped throughout class; I felt bad for her, but I couldn’t do anything.

We only taught two classes at thirty minutes each, with a ten minute break in the middle, so we only taught our Homerooms. I had completed progress reports for all of my homeroom students and gave the reports to the parents. I had to fill out progress reports at the end of my first month here, and it’s interesting to see how much my students have progressed and how their personalities have blossomed over the last few months. Most kids impress me with how well they’ve done, while a few are disappointments. For example, Cinda hardly knows any English because she simply doesn’t try or seem to care. Tamera, on the other hand, can clearly communicate with me most of her needs and wants and thoughts, when she came to us with zero English skills.

After class, Phillip’s mother came up to me and tried to communicate with me, but I couldn’t understand her broken English. Kelly translated that Phillip’s mother wanted my contact information so she could keep in contact and possibly stay with me if she ever goes to the States. I was honored that she would want this from me, so I’m going to give Kelly my contact information so that she can give it to all the parents of my students. I think it would be so much fun to be pen pals with my students/their parents (if we can get past the language barrier).



It snowed heavily today, and it stuck, unlike the few times it’s snowed in China and it immediately melted. The humidity makes it especially cold here, though after living in Indiana it feels normal to me; however, the Western Westerners (Utahns) feel like they’re going to die of frostbite.

Regardless, the Baileys, Cami, Kristin and I were all craving Muslim food, so we decided to brave the cold and snow for Muslim Friday. I wore leggings under my pants, a tank top, two long-sleeved shirts, two coats, boots and socks, two pairs of gloves and a hat. It may feel normal to me, but it’s still freezing.

Our usual Muslim family moved across the street to a new, cleaner establishment. They have new menus, chairs and tables, and no holes in their walls; the female owner is thrilled with it. I got my usual tomato and egg on mein tao (noodles), which is always delicious. I love going out with these people; we have a lot of fun getting to know each other and spending quality time together.

Even though it was freezing, we still bought ice cream from a local convenience store—it’s a tradition now. The Chinese thought we were crazy (“Nimen shi yada Meiguo ren…” “You are crazy Americans”), but I’m sure they all think that anyway.

No comments: